Six Tenets for Achieving your IT goals
For most companies, developing a strategic IT plan for the future is top of mind. At Logically, we are passionate IT strategists and avid about how technology can be used as a competitive advantage and a strategic tool for an organization. As you hone your future plans, how are you addressing IT as a strategic initiative and making IT investment decisions?
The current pace of technological change has forced a paradigm shift in how both IT leaders and executives view technology. Not only is technology a requirement in nearly every business, but it is clearly a competitive difference maker. With that in mind, here are six tenets for achieving your IT goals:
- Vision –To reach the next level of performance, you need to understand how IT supports your organization’s strategic vision. Technologies such as artificial intelligence, blockchain, the Internet of Things and Big Data are all emerging trends that will make an impact in the coming year. It’s imperative to identify the technologies that will have the biggest impact on your business when creating your strategic vision.
- Strategy – IT is a key part of your business strategy. A key question to ask is how IT will help you achieve your core business metrics such as revenue growth, employee productivity, customer satisfaction, and cost control. Develop an IT plan that is aligned with your business goals. Tie your IT initiatives and investments directly to strategic goals and initiatives. Build business cases for your IT initiatives that demonstrate the direct linkage and financial impact on the metrics that matter most.
- The Right Tools – IT can be complicated. Opportunities and threats are constantly evolving. Choosing the right tools can help manage core IT processes including patch management, monitoring and alerting, backup, disaster recovery, security, problem resolution, help desk, reporting and more.
- Innovation – Technology is always changing and evolving, and as a result so is the role and impact of IT. Modernizing your IT and trying new methods or ideas is pivotal to maximizing the impact of IT in your organization. Is your business using the latest cloud technologies and SaaS applications? Do you have the right back-up and disaster recovery solutions in place to prevent data loss and significant downtime? CIOs and other technology leaders who fail to evolve their departments and optimize technology initiatives will struggle in this rapidly changing technology environment
- Process – Documenting and complying with processes is crucial for maintaining IT excellence. These processes need to be predictable, repeatable and teachable so your employees can implement them without difficulty and in turn should be tightly integrated with your technology. In the wake of recent cyber security attacks, it’s paramount that your organization create processes that support a secure environment. Provide frequent training sessions for employees, create processes for updating devices and changing passwords every few months to improve your security culture
- Great People – It’s impossible to stress enough the value of great people and the success they breed. This success starts with strong business and IT leadership who help cultivate a culture of accountability and excellence.
Transforming and optimizing IT management and delivery is a common theme in nearly every organization we touch. The impacts of a highly functional technology strategy can be profound. If you feel as though you should be getting more out of technology than you currently are today, speak with an expert and explore your options.