Managed Security Services – A Maine Business Perspective
At the beginning of June, I had the pleasure of speaking at the 2016 MTUG IT Summit and Tradeshow about ‘Managed Security Services – A Maine Business Perspective’. I spoke alongside my fellow CISSP Ray Charest, IT Network Manager and Administrator of Norway Savings Bank.
I focused my portion of the presentation on a roadmap to security for small to mid-size organizations, which they can either implement in-house or with the help of Managed Security. I discussed the top threats for small to midsize businesses and key controls that can help minimize security breaches with the most important control being backup. Equipment failure is still the number one concern and it is important to frequently check your backup solutions to make sure they are working properly. Malware is another form of attack that is a top threat for organizations. Multilayer antivirus solutions can help minimize the impact of these attacks.
During this presentation, I also discussed the core services for our Managed Security Service (MSS) solutions.
- Intrusion Detection – Logically MSS experts examine and detect all traffic coming in from all directions.
- Log Monitoring – A breach is not a matter of if, but when. As the detection importance is paramount, Logically experts look at all logs and try to detect invasions or potential risks.
- User Monitoring – Logically security experts can not only monitor logs but also users. This type of monitoring can be helpful because it can detect whether or not users are clicking on malicious links or websites.
- Security Reporting – Logically provides reports that summarize the level of security at an organization. This report shows types of intrusions and detection to clients and lists the level of concern.
Ray Charest from Norway Savings Bank focused on the importance of security, particularly for the banking industry and what value Managed Security brings to his bank. Ray explained four key elements and strategy for Information Security.
- Predict – Predict the most likely attacks, targets and methods by having proactive measures to identify attackers.
- Prevent – Prevent or deter attacks so no loss is experienced. It is important to secure the computing environment with current tools, patches, updates and other proven methods.
- Respond – Rapidly address incidents to minimize loss and return to normal operations.
- Detect – Monitor key areas and activities for attacks to help identify attacks which evade the prevention stage.
If you feel as though your business is not utilizing the proper security services, this may be a great time for a conversation with our Managed Security experts.