Best Practices for Mobile Device Management
There’s no denying the strong trend we’re seeing towards an increasingly mobile workforce. And while this new way of working is great for employee productivity, it also has security drawbacks.
Mobile device management (MDM) is the process of controlling mobile devices with policies and security controls. A complete mobile device management solution can manage devices running on Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Chrome OS.
When your employees are working remotely, you can ensure that their devices, wireless communications and corporate data are safe and protected if you implement a proper MDM solution to oversee your workforce’s activity.
Here are the five best practices for MDM for keeping your company out of harm’s way:
- Require anti-malware software – Antivirus solutions that can help minimize the risk associated with malware attacks are available for most devices and there is no excuse for not having this protection.
- Implement data encryption – Wireless communications are incredibly easy to intercept. Any data on a device that can leave the premises is at risk too. Data at rest and in transit must be protected with encryption.
- Enforce strong authentication and security features – Use reputable password management tools to help avoid password reuse. Arguably, even strong passwords aren’t enough for protecting most sensitive information. Adding a second layer of protection, such as multi-factor authentication (MFA) will help keep you and your organization more secure and is relatively easy.
- Update your Devices - Where possible, make sure they are set for auto update, so you don’t have to worry about manually updating.
- Perform Security Audits – Consider working with your provider or bringing in a third party to test your organization’s mobile security. Technology is always changing and as a result new threats keep emerging. The more often your organization can test for threats, the more prepared you will be.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your organization’s Mobile Device Management policies, Logically is here to help. Schedule a call with an expert today.